Even though summer camp rolls around each year at this time, we’re never quite prepared for it. We generally do a pretty good job, but there are details we tend to forget from one year to the next. Add to this the changing nature of our troops and a refresher becomes a good idea.
So, whether you’re heading to camp next week or next month, here are some summer camp-related articles that I and others have written on the subject recently.
- The adult role at summer camp – A letter to the parents of my troop about what their sons can expect, and what adults who attend camp should be mindful of in order to give the Scouts the freedom to enjoy the week’s experience from their perspective.
- Newbie summer camp advice – What one thing should you bring to or do at camp? Information from many readers about their favorite things.
- Homesickness shouldn’t spoil summer camp – Advice for Scouts and their parents on how to deal with, and prevent, homesickness.
- Notes from summer camp – A list of things I thought of at summer camp one year that we did or could do to help things go more smoothly.
- Summer camp: after you’re home – Loose ends to clean up after you’re back home. Last of a four-part series that included articles on getting ready for summer camp.
- Where are the tent stakes? – An illustration of why we shouldn’t undermine youth leaders at summer camp (or any time).
Here are some interesting posts from Clarke Green’s ScoutmasterCG site:
- Summer camp advice – Reflections on making the best of your week from a camp director’s perspective
- Rethinking summer camp merit badges – Summer camp isn’t all about earning merit badges. There are many more opportunities that Scouts can take advantage of.
- Scouts and homesickness – An experienced Scoutmaster shares his observations on alleviating homesickness.
- Scout summer camp benefits – Things that a boy learns to do at summer camp besides earning merit badges
- A Scouter’s summer camp schedule – What a Scouter does as a guest of the Scouts while they are doing summer camp.
- Podcasts about summer camp: Podcast 226 – Scouts at camp; Podcast 269 – Preparing parents for summer camp; Podcast 312 – Are you ready for summer camp?
And from Scouting Magazine’s blog, written by editor Bryan Wendell:
- 10 tips for helping Scouts balance fun and advancement at summer camp
- 25 ways Scouters can make the most of summer camp
- First-time summer camp staffer offers “lessons from summer camp”
Enjoy your week at camp!